Baking a super chocolate cake can make even the most experienced bakers nervous. They may be scared of facing sticky frosting, tasteless cake, etc. But cake experts say that baking chocolate cake is a simple affair provided you have the right tools and recipes.
It is better you stick with simple chocolate cake recipes to start with till you are more proficient at baking cakes. Here a few tips to bake that super chocolate cake:
- Ensure you have the right kind of pan specified by the recipe.
- Grease and flour the pan before you start preparing for the recipe.
- If pan has many designs, make sure you use enough grease to cover the nooks and crannies.
- A substitute for flouring and greasing is a vegetable non stick spray.
- Don’t flour and grease the pan if you are preparing a sponge cake or an angel food cake as the cake will not rise. Instead, you can line the bottom of the pan with wax or parchment paper.
- Keep all ingredients at room temperature.
- Carefully measure all ingredients before preparing the batter.
- It is good to preheat the oven while you are preparing the batter.
- If using an electric blender, only beat till all ingredients are blended. Avoid overbeating.
- Blending by using hands may take a longer time.
- For cakes that use butter, ensure it is soft before mixing with sugar.
- If using several eggs, add it one by one.
- For chocolate, don’t limit to baker’s chocolate. There are many varieties of dark chocolate available in the market. Use your favourite type. Make sure it contains at least 70% cocoa.
Preparing the Cake Pan:
- Don’t fill the cake pan more than three fourth to provide space for rising.
- If using a square pan, use spatula to spread batter into corners.
- Always bake in a preheated oven
- Dark colour or glass pans will retain more heat. Reduce temperature by 20 degrees F, but cook for the same time.
- Baking must be done on the centre rack so that there is circulation of heat. Avoid placing two or more pans such that they touch each other. If using more than one rack, arrange pans such that one is above the other.
- Test cake 8 minutes before baking time.
- To test cake, insert a toothpick as deep into the cake as possible. It should come out clean when the cake is done.
- Another method is to press the surface of the cake: It must spring back into original shape.
- A cake that is done will come out of the pan easily.
Cooling the Cake:
- Cakes containing butter must be allowed to cool for 5 minutes in the pan itself. Then turn out on top of a cooling rack.
- For sticky cakes, use a spatula to gently dislodge the cake.
Frosting the Cake:
- If you are in a hurry and want to make a layer cake, apply a layer of jelly between the layers. Or you can place slices of fruits and dust with icing sugar.
- It is better to make extra frosting rather than run short of frosting. Frosting keeps well in the fridge.
These are some tips to make a super chocolate cake. Baking the cake at home is an easy way to arrange for a chocolate gift for cheap for the loved ones.